This past weekend was one of great excitement for our family. Since moving to the Seattle area in June, we’ve been renting a townhouse while navigating the crazy (!!) housing market here. Thanks to our amazing real estate broker and some serious patience, we finally closed on a house on Friday and moved in over the weekend. Boxes, boxes, everywhere, which means that we are focusing on meals born of pure convenience and ease. If the ingredients aren’t already in the fridge and pantry, or the necessary pans are hidden away in a box, the meal just ain’t happening.
One of the ingredients that I always keep on hand is a bag of my favorite Creamer potatoes from The Little Potato Company . If we’re not including them in slow cooker soups , roasted vegetable side dishes or fun appetizers , my son is microwaving a handful of them for an afternoon snack. My little chef seasons them with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of rosemary or cumin, and dips them into ketchup. For this vegan potato soup, I used the Blushing Belle varietal, but any of the Creamer potato varietals would work well.
This soup is very versatile, so feel free to change up the mix-ins depending on what is available in your kitchen. No kale? Use spinach, escarole or Swiss chard. Out of Great Northern beans? Substitute cannellini or kidney beans, or even chickpeas.
Vegan Potato Soup Recipe with Beans & Kale
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot, and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, rosemary, thyme, red pepper flakes and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable broth, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease heat slightly and cook at a lively simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt. Serve.