Having family and friends over has got to be simultaneously one of the best and one of the most challenging parts of the holiday season. I love the dinners and parties and potlucks, but when you’ve got overnight guests feeding everyone breakfast can be a bit of a challenge. The solution? Make ahead breakfast casserole!
One of our favorites is the overnight French Toast / Strata / Bread Pudding approach, which is great because it also uses up old bread. You cube the bread, layer it into a buttered casserole dish along with some other ingredients, and then pour an egg custard over top. It goes into the fridge for an overnight soak, and when breakfast times rolls around all you need to do it pull it out of the fridge and pop it into the oven.
In this particular version, we’ve paired a delicious sourdough rye bread with dried cranberries, toasty walnuts, orange, and a touch of ginger for a seasonal flare. It’s sweetened with maple syrup and a bit of orange juice, which goes well with the subtle flavor and tang of the sourdough rye bread.
This recipe serves 4 people generously, but it easily doubles (or triples!) if you’re feeding a crowd. Leftovers will last several days in your fridge, or, you can wrap squares in foil and tuck them away in the freezer for breakfast on a busy morning. You’ll thank yourself!
More Recipe Ideas & Resources
Cranberry Walnut Make-ahead Breakfast Casserole
- 4 cups cubed sourdough rye
- 1/2 cup chopped walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Butter a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Place half of the bread cubes in the prepared pan. Scatter half of the walnuts and half of the cranberries over top. Repeat with the remaining bread, walnuts, and cranberries.
- Whisk together the maple syrup, orange juice, ginger, eggs, and milk.
- Pour the wet mixture over the bread and shake the pan to distribute evenly.
- Cover the loaf pan in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to sit overnight.
- When you are ready to bake, Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Place the casserole in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, until puffed and golden on top. Check that the center is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Article source: https://ohmyveggies.com/cranberry-walnut-make-ahead-breakfast-casserole/