My easy, vegan Mushroom and Summer Squash Risotto, makes a lovey warm weather dish. Constant stirring is not required, making this a perfect risotto to prepare for a quick weeknight meal.
Summer squash stands in well for the cheese adding color, texture and moisture. Just chop up a few key ingredients, give it an occasional stir and it’s ready to serve! Yum!
Mushroom and Summer Squash Risotto
By Laura Theodore
Makes 2 to 3 servings
2⁄3 cup diced onion
8 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, chopped
3 cups filtered or spring water, plus more as needed
powered by Advanced iFrame free. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.
1 vegan bouillon cube, crumbled
1 cup Arborio rice
½ cup peeled and diced yellow summer squash
Chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Put the onion, mushrooms, 1⁄2 cup water and crumbled bouillon cube into a medium-sized saucepan.
2. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes, or until soft. Add more water, 2 tablespoons at a time, if needed, to prevent sticking.
3. Decrease the heat to medium-low (or low) and add 1 cup of the water to the onion-mushroom mixture. Stir in the rice, cover and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the water is almost absorbed.
4. Stir the risotto thoroughly; add 1 more cup of water, cover and cook for 8 to 10 more minutes, or until the water is almost completely absorbed.
5. Cover and let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Serve.