Does the Walnut filling really taste good?
Short answer – yes! I have made these countless times and every time I get so many compliments. My omnivore cousin really loves these and now makes them for herself.
I think the trick to making the walnut meat extra delicious is the seasoning. The cumin, chili powder, and tamari give the walnut filling a sort of meaty flavor (without any meat).
Walnut meat can be used in these tacos but I’ve also used them in my Walnut Meat Vegan Taco Wraps .
Nutritionally walnuts offer us healthy fat (including omega-3 fatty acids). Fatty Acids are the main component of our cell membranes. Omega 3s can also have a beneficial effect on cardiovascular disease and depression .
Walnuts are a great source of plant-based protein and contain vitamin B6, magnesium, and fiber.
Meal Prep Tip: You can pre-make the walnut taco meat a few days before so they can be made in minutes when you have a hectic day!
- 1.5cup sde-shelled walnuts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tb tamari ( can use soy sauce if not gf or coconut aminos if you do not do soy)
- 6 Taco shells(I used organic & gluten-free)
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1cupred cabbage chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup onion chopped
- cilantro chopped
LIME CASHEW SOUR CREAM
- 1Cupcashews soaked overnight(or soaked at least 10 mins in boiling water)
- 1/3-1/2cupwater(and more if needed)
- 2Tblime juice
- 1TB apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
Add walnuts to a food processor and process until mixture is chopped finely but not pureed.
Put mixture in bowl and add seasonings and mix.
Add rest of the ingredients (up until tamari) and stir until incorporated
Fill taco shells with walnut mixture and top with toppings of choice.
To make the lime cashew sour cream put all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed to get a sour cream consistency.
Top tacos with sour cream and enjoy!
- Nutrition info includes 1 taco shell per taco and 1 TB of cilantro sour cream.
- Sour cream will last in the fridge for about a week.
Article source: https://www.vnutritionandwellness.com/walnut-meat-tacos/