Does the Walnut filling really taste good?
Short answer – yes! I have made these countless times and every time I get so many compliments. My omnivore cousin really loves these and now makes them for herself.
More Healthy & Deliceous Recipes
I think the trick to making the walnut meat extra delicious is the seasoning. The cumin, chili powder, and tamari give the walnut filling a sort of meaty flavor (without any meat).
Walnut meat can be used in these tacos but I’ve also used them in my Walnut Meat Vegan Taco Wraps .
Nutritionally walnuts offer us healthy fat (including omega-3 fatty acids). Fatty Acids are the main component of our cell membranes. Omega 3s can also have a beneficial effect on cardiovascular disease and depression .
Walnuts are a great source of plant-based protein and contain vitamin B6, magnesium, and fiber.
Meal Prep Tip: You can pre-make the walnut taco meat a few days before so they can be made in minutes when you have a hectic day!
- 1.5cup sde-shelled walnuts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tb tamari ( can use soy sauce if not gf or coconut aminos if you do not do soy)
- 6 Taco shells(I used organic & gluten-free)
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1cupred cabbage chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup onion chopped
- cilantro chopped
LIME CASHEW SOUR CREAM
- 1Cupcashews soaked overnight(or soaked at least 10 mins in boiling water)
- 1/3-1/2cupwater(and more if needed)
- 2Tblime juice
- 1TB apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Add walnuts to a food processor and process until mixture is chopped finely but not pureed.
- Put mixture in bowl and add seasonings and mix.
- Add rest of the ingredients (up until tamari) and stir until incorporated
- Fill taco shells with walnut mixture and top with toppings of choice.
- To make the lime cashew sour cream put all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed to get a sour cream consistency.
- Top tacos with sour cream and enjoy!
- Nutrition info includes 1 taco shell per taco and 1 TB of cilantro sour cream.
- Sour cream will last in the fridge for about a week.
Article source: https://www.vnutritionandwellness.com/walnut-meat-tacos/