Following numerous demands from my readers, this one is meat-free. As a few of you may have thought, I used eggplant slices and thin egg omelettes to decrease the overall carbohydrate count per serving.
For routine meat-based Lasagna, avoid the spinach and use 500 g/ 1.1 lb ground beef or turkey cooked on a tablespoon of ghee and flavoured with the marinara sauce.
- 2 medium eggplants (750 g/ 1.6 pound).
- 1 cup. Marinara sauce. ( 240 g/ 8.5 oz).
- 300 g fresh spinach (10.6 oz).or.g frozen spinach (330 g/ 11.6 oz).
- 1 1/3 cup feta cheese (200 g/ 7.1 oz).
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated (110 g/ 4 oz).
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or.other Italian difficult cheese (30 g/ 1.1 oz).
- 6 big eggs.
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. ghee. ( 85 g/ 3 oz).
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste.
- Optional fresh herbs such as basil and oregano for garnish.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F( fan helped). Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch (~ 1 cm) pieces and place on a baking tray. Grease with 1/4 of melted ghee, season with a pinch of salt and location in the oven. Cook for about 20 minutes
- If you’re using frozen spinach, let it defrost at space temperature level for a couple of hours (or microwave).
- If you’re using fresh spinach, you’ll need to blanch it. Location the spinach leaves into the boiling water and cook for 30-60 seconds. Drain the excess water by putting the spinach in a strainer and squeezing the excess fluids out.
- Prepare the Marinara sauce
- by following this recipe.
- When the eggplant is done, remove from the oven and set aside. Prepare the omelettes
- Put on in a hot pan greased with ghee (utilize the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee for greasing the pan as required) and swirl around to develop an extremely thin omelette. Cook for just about a minute or more, till the top is firm. Location on a plate and repeat for the remaining eggs
- Make an overall of 6 omelettes. Start assembling the lasagna by putting a layer of 2 omelettes on the bottom of a banking dish (I used a 9 x 12 inch/ 23 x 30 cm baking meal). (Note: You can create less layers if you like – it’s completely approximately you. Simply make sure you top the lasagna with some mozzarella and parmesan.).
- Spread out a 3rd of the Marinara sauce on top of the omelettes. Include a 3rd of the eggplant pieces.
- Add a 3rd of the grated mozzarella cheese, half of the spinach
Include and half of the crumbled feta cheese. Top with 2 more omelettes.
Repeat layering the lasagna: Spread a third of the Marinara sauce on leading, include a third of the eggplant pieces and a third of grated mozzarella. Include the staying spinach and feta cheese.
For the last layer, add the staying omelettes, marinara sauce, eggplant pieces and mozzarella cheese. Leading with all of the grated parmesan cheese and location in the oven.
When done, the top gets crispy and golden brown. Get rid of from the oven and set aside to cool down.
Eat right away or let it cool off and shop in the refrigerator for as much as 5 days. The lasagna can be served either warm or cold. You can also freeze it for as much as 3 months.
More Recipe Ideas & Resources