I made a few revisions to this recipe in addition to adding Instant Pot instructions. First off, I changed the name! This was previously called Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken. I changed it to Chicken, Chickpeas & Tomatoes because I felt Mediterranean chicken was too generic. The real updates came to the actual recipe but trust me, it’s better this way. I removed the 1 teaspoon of coriander because I have learned that coriander is not a common spice that most people have in their pantry. I don’t want you to go out and buy an expensive spice just for this recipe. I also removed the 1 teaspoon of curry powder because I felt it was out of place in the recipe. Mediterranean food isn’t exactly known for their curry. Finally, I added more lemon juice and chicken broth. The previous version did not include any broth.
What Cut Of Chicken To Use
As with a lot of my recipes, you can use your favorite cut of chicken with this recipe whether it be chicken legs, thighs, or even breasts. What you see in the pictures are bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are my go-to with slow cooking or pressure cooking but I understand that’s not the case for everyone. Below are a few notes about the using different types of chicken:
- If you use chicken breasts, be aware that white meat is easy to overcook & dry out. When it’s done cooking, I suggest you turn off the appliance or remove the food immediately. Don’t let the chicken sit in the appliance on the warm setting because it will continue to cook.
- If you use skinless chicken meat with the pressure cooker, you do not have to saute the meat first. Add the meat directly to the pressure cooker raw.
- If you use skin-on chicken, whether you’re using the slow cooker or pressure cooker, you have the option to broil the chicken afterwards to crisp the skin. When the chicken done cooking, remove it from the appliance, place it on a baking sheet & then under the broiler for a few minutes.
What Type Of Tomatoes To Use
I hope you like this answer – your preferred tomato! What you see here is 16 ounces of sliced cherry tomatoes. I used cherry tomatoes because I wanted the pictures to look pretty for you. Roma tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes…they work too. I honestly make this all the time; when I’m making it quickly on the go I use a 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes. Yes 15 ounces isn’t the 16 ounces the recipes calls for but it’s close enough. One of the beauties of cooking (versus baking) is that you have a tad bit of leeway when it comes to the ingredients.
Chickpeas & Tomatoes
This recipe is all about the combination of the chickpeas & tomatoes in the lemony sauce. If you look at the ingredients, it’s nothing fancy; you probably already have all if not most of the spices (paprika, oregano, cumin, chili pepper, salt) in your pantry. The flavors cook together nicely while both the chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) and tomatoes. For the chickpeas, use canned chickpeas that have been drained & rinsed. Canned chickpeas are already cooked.
Other Mediterranean inspired recipes you might enjoy:
Slow Cooker Kofta Casserole (Paleo, Whole30)
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken w/Olives & Capers (Low-Carb, Paleo, Whole30)
Greek Chicken & Pasta Salad
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Za’atar Chicken (Low-Carb, Paleo, Whole30)
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Mediterranean Chicken Pot (Paleo, Whole30)
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot 5-Ingredient Italian Chicken Dinner (Paleo, Whole30)
I use a 6-quart slow cooker or Instant Pot to make this recipe.
- 2–3 pounds chicken (see blog post)
- 2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- 16 ounces fresh tomatoes, sliced or chopped or 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (slow cooker) or 1 cup (Instant Pot) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add chicken to slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, add chickpeas, tomatoes, lemon juice, broth, paprika, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Mix until well blended. Pour mixture into the slow cooker on top of the chicken.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6 (or until your cut of chicken is done).
- Turn the pressure cooker to sauté. Once hot, add the oil and chicken skin-side down and sear, few minutes until browned. You might need to do this in batches depending on the cut of chicken you use. If you are using skinless chicken skip this step and add the chicken directly to the pressure cooker. Remove chicken from the pressure cooker and set aside.
- Pour 1/2 cup broth into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- In a large bowl, add chickpeas, tomatoes, lemon juice, remaining 1/2 cup broth, paprika, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Mix until well blended. Pour mixture into the Instant Pot on top of the chicken. Do not stir.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure for 12 minutes. When done, quick release the pressure. Make sure internal temperature for the chicken is 165° Fahrenheit.
Article source: http://fitslowcookerqueen.com/slow-cooker-mediterranean-chicken/