Have you ditched the carbs and sugar in your diet? If so, don’t worry! You can still enjoy a delicious Chili Dog with this Low Carb Chili Dog Casserole.
Low Carb Chili Dog Bake:
Hot dogs (and burgers, of course) really are the ultimate summer cook-out food. My kids request them for dinner all the time. (And I’ll admit, the kids are not the only ones in the family who love hot dogs…)
We’ve been cooking out a lot lately. With Labor Day around the corner and summer officially coming to a close soon after that after that, I figured it was time for me to come up with a way the entire family could enjoy chili dogs again. (Hubby and I are not eating bread or sugar products right now, so a traditional hot dog in a bun is off the table.)
More Healthy & Deliceous Recipes
In the past, I would buy canned chili for our chili dogs, but even the canned bean-less chili’s have quite a few carbs in them, so it’s better to make my own version of a low carb chili.
This Low Carb Hot Dog Chili recipe turned out sooo good, you would never know it was low carb! I combined the chili with Hot dogs, cheese and onions for the most amazing low carb casserole ever!
After baking the hot dogs with all the chili, cheese and onions, I was definitely in chili dog heaven. (and yes, there is such a thing!)
How good does Low Carb Chili Dog Casserole look? You definitely won’t miss the bun.
If you’re gluten-free instead of low carb, this would be awesome with corn chips. (Just cut the hot dogs into smaller slices and scoop the chili, franks and cheese up with the chips or spoon the chili dog bake right into a snack size bag of chips! Like these walking frito pies. )
For the chili:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large bell pepper
- about 3/4 of a large onion, diced (use more if you like sauteed onion)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt (You could cheat and just use 2 tbs of a chili spice mix in place of the 4 spices above.)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 1 tbs of sugar or sugar substitute (12 carbs in a tbs of sugar, fyi)
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbs tomato paste
For the casserole:
- 8 Beef Hot Dogs sliced longways down the middle and cut in half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or cheddar blend cheese (or more if you like a lot of cheese)
- extra diced onions for garnish
- Combine the ground beef, 2/3 of the chopped onions, peppers and garlic in large frying pan and saute until ground beef is browned. Drain fat.
- Add spices, Worcestershire, sugar, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water to the pan. stir to combine and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Optional step, but totally makes it just like real hot dog chili: Using a food processor or immersion blender, process the chili until the beef is in very small pieces.
- Lay hot dogs flat on the bottom of a 7 x 9 casserole dish. Cover with chili. (you should have enough to reserve a bit for those that are eating regular hot dogs and want chili.) Spread 1 cup of cheese over chili and top with remaining onion.
- Bake at 400 F for about 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly!
The kids definitely thought these were the best chili dogs ever!