Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – Low Carb, Keto, THM S, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free
This has been on my to-do list since my husband and I went to a fundraiser back in May. They had the best chicken cordon bleu ever. I knew I could make the same flavors into a killer casserole.
This was a hit with my family. I wasn’t sure if the kids would like the swiss cheese (honestly, I’m not a huge swiss cheese fan) but it worked so well with this flavor combination there were no complaints.
Here is a little history on this iconic dish (thank you, Wikipedia ):
A cordon bleu or schnitzel cordon bleu is a dish of meat wrapped around cheese (or with cheese filling), then breaded and pan-fried or deep-fried. (Veal) cordon bleu is made of veal pounded thin and wrapped around a slice of ham and a slice of cheese, breaded, and then pan fried or baked .  For chicken cordon bleu chicken breast is used instead of veal.  Ham cordon bleu is ham stuffed with mushrooms and cheese. 
The origins of cordon bleu as a schnitzel filled with cheese are in Switzerland, probably about the 1940s, first mentioned in a cookbook from 1949. The earliest reference to chicken cordon bleu in The New York Times is dated to 1967, while similar veal recipes are found from at least 1955. 
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – Low Carb, Grain Free, THM S
More Healthy & Deliceous Recipes
I suggest serving this with a green salad or green vegetables such as roasted broccoli or brussels sprouts.
I’ve had readers sub in other mild cheeses like provolone or Havarti so feel free to tailor this to your family’s tastes.
One of the most important things for this recipe to make sure the chicken is nice and juicy. If the chicken is moist this will be moist and flavorful. If you are started with dry chicken I recommend making 1.5 times the sauce to compensate. Or even doubling it.
Step 1: Layer chicken and ham in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Step 2: Make the sauce and spread it on top.
Step 3: Layer on the cheese.
Step 4: Bake until hot, bubbly, and golden.
- 6 cups shredded cooked chicken(from about 2 lb chicken)
- 6oz ham, cut into bite size pieces
- 4oz butter, melted
- 6oz cream cheese, softened
- 1tbsp dijon mustard
- 1tbsp white wine, optional
- 1-2oz lemon juice(use the full amount if you love lemon – I do)
- 1/2tsp salt
- 5oz swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350. Put the chicken in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Layer the pieces of ham on top.
- In a blender combine the melted butter, softened cream cheese, white wine (if using), mustard, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until a thick sauce forms. Spread this sauce over the chicken and ham in the baking dish.
- Lay the slices of swiss cheese on top of the sauce. Bake for 30-40 minutes until hot.
- I broiled it for 2 minutes at the end so the cheese would get more golden and bubbly. If you decided to do that do not leave it unattended. It’s very easy to burn the cheese topping.
- If you have a bottle of dry white wine open it adds a nice flavor. But I wouldn’t open a new bottle just for this recipe. Unless you are planning on having a glass while you cook.
- If your shredded chicken is on the dry side you may want to double the amount of sauce or add in 1/4 cup of chicken broth and mix the sauce into the shredded chicken before adding the toppings.