I did something crazy.
I took Butter Chicken and made it incredibly healthy, very delicious and really much vegetarian.
I made Butter Chicken without chicken or butter! And I am so happy I did!
MATERIALIZING FOOD EASY AND DELICIOUS WITH HEALTHY BUTTER CHICKPEAS …
This Healthy Butter Chickpeas recipe is a scrumptious veggie-take on an Indian classic. And think me, you won’t be missing the chicken here. This stew-like meal is rich and creamy without any heavy cream or butter. It’s easy to make and gluten free, vegan and dairy free!
What genuine food ingredients will you require to make this Vegan Butter Chicken Dish?
Don’t let the long list of active ingredients fool you here. This recipe is certainly worth digging into the pantry and pulling out some staples. You’ll need a can of chickpeas, stock or water, plain tomato sauce, almond butter, coconut milk, yellow curry, cumin, cayenne, onion, garlic, cilantro, honey and lime or sugar.
What else will you need to make this dish?
- Cutting board.
- Chef’s knife.
- Microplane (to grate your garlic).
- Can opener.
- Big skillet.
- Spatula or wooden spoon.
This Healthy Butter Chickpeas dish is a lightened-up, vegan and gluten free take on a classic Indian-style meal. You will not miss the chicken herre, this homemade dairy free curry is rich, gratifying and velvety made with coconut milk, tomatoes, chickpeas and a secret active ingredient– almond butter! This healthy dish is fast and easy to make for the best weeknight dinner any night of the week.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 medium onion).
- 3-4 large cloves of garlic, minced or grated.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild yellow curry powder.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin.
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- If you like it hot!), 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or more.
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock.
- 1 15oz can plain, low salt tomato sauce (about 1 1/2 cups).
- 1 19oz can low salt chickpeas (about 2 cups).
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, approximately sliced.
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (newly squeezed is finest).
- 1/4 cup smooth, natural almond butter, at or close to space temperature.
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (I utilized complete fat).
- 1 teaspoon sugar (preferably unrefined sugar or honey would work too).
- Salt and extra lime juice to taste.
- Rice, potato wedges, etc for serving.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, being sure not to brown, 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and all of the spices to the onions and cook, stirring frequently, till extremely fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pot with the veggie stock, making sure to scrape all of the browned bits off the bottom, then add the tomato sauce, chickpeas, cilantro and lime juice, stirring till well included.
- Bring tomato mix to a simmer and cook 20-25 minutes till chickpeas and plump and tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond butter, coconut milk and sugar and continue stirring until smooth and streaks remain. Season with additional salt and lime juice to taste.
- Serve over brown basmati rice and top lots of fresh cilantro.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN BUTTER CHICKPEAS …
More Recipe Ideas & Resources
Hands down, my favourite part of this meal is the flavour! These Healthy Butter Chickpeas are beyond flavourful and all those lovely Indian spices come together so splendidly, without being too spicy. (I can’t do that spicy heat– but if you can, add a little additional cayenne!) Here the mix of moderate yellow curry powder and cumin set perfectly together with a capture of lime and fresh cilantro.
My second preferred part of this dish is definitely the very unexpected and tasty secret component– almond butter!
Sounds strange and perhaps a liiiittle bit off, I understand. It works, I guarantee! It gives an extremely deep, rich flavour, particularly if you use a roasted almond butter and together with the full-fat coconut milk, the tomato-based sauce ends up being so wonderfully thick and creamy.
You actually can’t taste the almond butter at all (do not fret!) but it lends a richness that you really can’t beat.
As for other ideas and techniques for this dish, I always use canned chickpeas that have actually been drained, rinsed really well and patted dry since that’s what is simple for me. You can certainly prepare dried chickpeas for this dish too, I preferred the convenience of canned.
When you serve a big scoop over brown rice (or try basmati) with lots of cilantro and an extra capture of lime, this dish is particularly unequalled.
Or my latest fixation– over baked potato wedges !! Finest. Supper. Ever.
AND PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
MORE ABOUT THIS CLEAN-EATING RECIPE FOR BUTTER CHICKPEAS WITH COCONUT MILK …
I deal with recipes like this one!
Here’s the thing …
Something that makes me sweat, other than capturing a severe spin class (which I have actually not done in far too long), is spicy food. When it comes to spicy things in my mouth, I am perhaps one of the biggest child. My eyes water frantically. My tongue and stomach seem like they’re on fire for days. And I enter into an insane hot flash throughout the entire meal.
It’s rather the scene and I try to prevent it as much as I can.
So with that being stated, you can imagine I’m frequently not that daring when it comes to various foods … and various foods that have a reputation for spicy.
The battle is real in some cases.
I realized a little while ago that does not mean I can’t still delight in all the fantastic flavours of all these different Asian-style foods. Rather, I decided to just make them myself so that way I can be sure to control the amount of spicy peppers and hot sauces that make their method inside my pot. (I likewise get to manage the quality and quantity of the other components that are utilized too!).
Now I can take pleasure in all the Healthy Butter Chickpeas and Coconut Curries without having to worry about crying my eyes out or having a hot flash.
Best. Dinner. Ever.
Article source: http://www.nourishedtheblog.com/healthy-butter-chickpeas/