This casserole with Chicken, Asparagus and Three Cheeses is a delicious and easy low-carb dinner that’s also Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and you could eat it as a treat for the South Beach Diet too. Use the Recipes-by-Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Chicken and Asparagus with Three Cheeses is a delicious and easy casserole recipe that’s been hanging out in the archives with a photo that probably wouldn’t have enticed anyone to make it, so when I saw asparagus on sale this week for $1.49 a pound, I decided to give this recipe a photo makeover! And wow, was it ever delicious.
Yesterday when I was editing the photos I remembered I had some leftovers in the fridge and I gobbled those up for lunch and started thinking about how soon I could make this again. And this recipe is an easy combination that would be impressive enough to serve for dinner guests.
The only thing slightly tricky about this Chicken and Asparagus with Three Cheeses is not to cook the sauce too long or bake it too long or the sauce will separate. This is an ongoing issue for me with sauces when they aren’t thickened with flour or cornstarch, but even if that happens, this will still be delicious! And for me asparagus going on sale is one of the sure signs that spring is coming, and since Salt Lake had a big snow storm earlier this week, I am really longing for the end of winter. So this is for all the other asparagus fans who are excited to have fresh asparagus season on the horizon!
Trim chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise, season, and brown on both sides; then put the browned chicken pieces into a casserole dish. While the chicken browns, barely blanch asparagus, drain well, blot asparagus dry with paper towels, and put the asparagus pieces over the chicken in the dish.
More Healthy & Deliceous Recipes
Use chicken stock to deglaze the pan you cooked the chicken in, scraping off browned bits and simmer until the stock is reduced to 3/4 cup. Then lower heat and whisk the sour cream into the stock. Turn off heat and stir in the goat cheese and Parmesan and whisk until it’s melted into the sauce. Pour sauce over the chicken and asparagus, cover with finely grated sharp cheddar, and bake about 25 minutes. That’s it!
Serve Chicken and Asparagus with Three Cheeses hot, with something like The BEST Easy Califlower Rice on the side to eat with the delicious sauce for a tasty low-carb dinner.
More Tasty Ideas with Asparagus:
Asparagus with Cream Sauce ~ CopyKat Recipes
Baked Eggs and Asparagus with Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Asparagus and Chicken in Peanut Sauce ~ Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Crustless Breakfast Tarts with Asparagus and Goat Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
30 Minute Roasted Asparagus and Cod with Rustic Tomato Sauce ~ Country Cleaver
Chicken and Asparagus with Three Cheeses (Video)
This casserole is delicious for an easy low-carb dinner.
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and each cut lengthwise into two pieces
- 2 – 3 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus
- 1 cup chicken stock, simmered to reduce to 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup sour cream (regular or light, but not fat-free)
- 3 oz. soft goat cheese (The kind that comes in a log.)
- 3 T Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup finely grated sharp cheddar (I used white cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Spray a rectangular casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Trim all visible fat and membrane from chicken breasts and cut each one in half lengthwise.
- Season chicken with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper, then heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the chicken until it’s lightly browned on both sides. (The chicken will cook more in the oven so it doesn’t need to be cooked completely through at this point; don’t overcook.)
- Put the browned chicken pieces into the casserole dish.
- While chicken browns, cut off woody ends of asparagus. (Snap one piece to see how much to cut off, it will break off right where the woody part starts.)
- Cut asparagus diagonally into 2 – 3 inch pieces.
- Bring a pan of lightly salted water to a gentle boil, and prepare a dish with water and ice cubes.
- Put asparagus into the boiling water and cook exactly three minutes, drain, then put asparagus in ice water to stop cooking and drain again.
- Let it drain well, then blot the asparagus on both sides with paper towels.
- Layer asparagus pieces over the chicken in the casserole dish.
- Use chicken stock to deglaze pan that you cooked the chicken in and scrape up all little browned bits.
- Let stock simmer over medium heat in the frying pan a few minutes, or until the stock is reduced to 3/4 cup.
- Reduce heat to low, whisk sour cream into the stock, and turn off the heat.
- Add goat cheese and Parmesan and whisk into sauce until they’re melted.
- Pour sauce over chicken and asparagus and sprinkle sharp cheddar over top.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce mixture is barely starting to bubble. (Don’t cook it too long or the sauce will separate.)
- Serve hot.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Chicken and Asparagus with Three Cheeses would be great for low-carb or low-glycemic diets. It’s a bit high in fat for the South Beach Diet, but you could use light sour cream and low-fat cheese if you prefer, and I would eat this for an occasional treat for South Beach, even for phase one.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.
Watch the Video Below for More Info... Then Click the Blue Button Below for All the Details!