Stuffed Turkey Burgers with salsa and cheese make for a killer turkey burger you will want to make all summer long. Goey cheese, spicy salsa, and lean ground turkey really is a match made in heaven.
As someone who admittedly doesn’t love turkey, I can’t say enough good things about these turkey burgers. They are made by adding your favorite salsa to lean ground turkey meat and then stuffing everything with mozzarella cheese. It’s a dreamy combination and one that I promise you will make all summer long. Plus it is easy to mix up the flavors by reaching for a different salsa and cheese combination. I have some ideas for you below.
More Healthy & Deliceous Recipes
But before we get into all the fun ways to make these salsa and cheese turkey burgers, let’s talk about turkey for a minute. I am one of those people who pass on turkey at Thanksgiving. It’s just not my thing. However ever since it became a zero points food, I have been trying to utilize it more. It’s a strategy I use to help me balance out the day and save some points for treats at the end of the day. Whether you follow WW or not, it is a healthy and lean protein that is great to add to the rotation.
So for me, the trick to enjoying turkey is to add tons of flavor to it and to make sure it stays nice and moist. This can be challenging with extra lean ground turkey since it dries out quickly. That’s where the salsa comes in. It’s the best trick for making a moist and flavor packed burger with a lean protein like turkey or ground chicken. The salsa not only adds tons of flavor, it also adds moisture, almost guaranteeing we won’t end up with a dry burger. And then to make things even better, why not stuff the cheese inside.
Flavor Combos for Salsa and Cheese Stuffed Turkey Burgers
- Chipotle Cheddar: Find a smoky chipotle salsa and stuff the burgers with cheddar cheese.
- Salsa Verde and Pepper Jack: Use a mild or medium salsa verde and then stuff the burgers with pepper jack cheese.
- Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese: There are lots of different roasted tomato salsa available in stores and they pair really well with goat cheese. Trust me, if you like goat cheese, these will be your favorite.
- Traditional and feta: There is something about pairing a traditional thick and chunky salsa with feta cheese that I love.
- Don’t like heat? Don’t be afraid to try a non-traditional salsa in this recipe. You could use a roasted red pepper “salsa”, bruschetta mix, olive tapenade, chutney, or any other salsa style condiment.
How to freeze turkey burgers?
You can make a big batch of these burgers and then freeze them for a quick and easy meal. The easiest way to freeze them is to form them into patties when they are raw. Then place them on a baking sheet or plate and let them freeze in the open fridge for 30 minutes. Then remove them and wrap in plastic wrap and return to the freezer. Then you can pull out as many burgers as you need in the future for a quick and easy meal.
Can I use ground beef or chicken?
Absolutely! These burgers can be made with any ground beef, chicken, turkey, or pork. They are really good with ground turkey sausage if you want to try something new and different. For the healthiest option, always look for the leanest option. Remember the salsa will help to keep it moist so you don’t have to worry as much about the meat getting dry. You can also use ground beef with a higher fat content, it just will be higher in calories and fat.
Watch the Video Below for More Info... Then Click the Blue Button Below for All the Details!