By: Claire Georgiou, Reboot Naturopath, B.HSc ND
This Christmas treat is wonderful to enjoy with your family or make as a quick Christmas gift. This healthy version of a gingerbread can be cut into any fun shapes or simple rolled out and formed into round cookies to enjoy as a light snack that’s high in fiber. These cookies have a low-glycemic index and are free from processed, refined ingredients containing only whole food ingredients. They are paleo, gluten free and vegan. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups (150g) almond meal
- 3 tbsp of coconut flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp of ground cloves
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
Decoration: You can melt chocolate and draw faces with a toothpick. I used a little icing sugar and water to make a paste just for a slight decorative look.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and combine well.
- Add in the wet ingredients until well combined and it forms a sticky dough, then put this in the freezer for 20 minutes so it is easier to roll. The coconut oil needs to harden.
- Roll out flat with a rolling pin (about ¼-inch thick) over some baking paper, use coconut flour for dusting if needed, use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- Once you have cut out the shapes, place these on the baking tray and roll out the remaining dough and cut more shapes out and repeat until you have no dough left.
- Place the cookies in the oven for 10-12 minutes (watch so they don’t burn) and leave them to cool before touching them as they may be too soft.
- Decorate with melted white or dark chocolate or combine a small amount of icing sugar and the tiniest amount of water to form a thick paste to use for drawing decorations.
- Leave to cool and serve or store in an airtight container.
Almond meal – another nut meal, gluten free flour or coconut flour (use half the amount)
More Healthy & Deliceous Recipes
Coconut flour – tapioca flour, gluten free flour
Maple syrup – honey
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.
Article source: https://www.rebootwithjoe.com/gingerbread-cookies/
Watch the Video Below for More Info... Then Click the Blue Button Below for All the Details!