This tasty Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a plant-based powerhouse of a lunch! Make it in advance for a party or picnic or to take along as an easy weekday lunch for work or school.
Paul just informed me that I’m a millennial and it straight up ruined my day.
HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?!
Somehow I thought I was exempt…
I mean sure I don’t answer my phone when it rings. I obviously Instagram my food every dang day. And of COURSE I don’t have cable, surviving entirely off Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video for all my entertainment needs. My laundry detergent is plant-based, my back yard is teeming with home-grown veggies, and after working out I trade my sweaty yoga pants for a clean but identical pair, because stretchy pants are LIFE, people! LIFE!
I guess I have no choice but to wave the white flag on this argument. I’m a millennial. The kind of millennial who makes tuna salad out of smashed chickpeas and veggies and offers no apologies because IT’S DELICIOUS, YO!
I’m hopelessly obsessed with this chickpea salad. There. I said it.
It’s so fresh and full of flavor that it puts every tuna or chicken salad I’ve ever had to shame.
Seriously!!! I have no problem eating it straight out of the bowl, though it’s also stellar in sandwich form, and atop a bed of leafy greens and veggies. Hellooooo versatility!
The first round of photos I took of this recipe failed to justify just how scrumptious this dish is so I had to reshoot the following week. Was this self-sabotage in an attempt to enjoy yet another round of chickpea deliciousness? Maybe.
Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Another fun fact about this recipe? Everyone can enjoy it! Ok fine, everyone except my primal paleo peeps who don’t do legumes. Man they’re missing out right now! This crunchy chickpea salad is vegetarian with an easy peasy swap to make it vegan. It’s also dairy-free and gluten-free and packed to the brim with all things veggie.
Whether you raid your garden, your local farmer’s market, or even the grocery store produce aisle, this salad is sure to rock your plate and veg up your eats!
Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwich
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 3 stalks green onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup chopped shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1/4 cup store bought or homemade mayonnaise (vegan or regular)
- 1-2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/8 tsp dried dill (or fresh, to taste)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3 TBSP unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 TBSP fresh chopped basil, plus extra to taste
FOR THE SANDWICH:
- multi-grain sandwich bread
- arugula or romaine lettuce
- extra basil as desired
- optional tomatoes and/or red onion
- sandwich spread of your choice
- spicy mustard
- anything goes!
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas and add them to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher until texture appears flaked, almost like tuna salad. I use both a potato masher and follow up with a fork to make sure every chickpea is deliciously smashed. You could also use a food processor and skip the arm workout!
- Chop your green onion, celery, shredded carrots, pepper, and pickles.
- Add to the bowl with your chickpeas, then add mayo, dijon, yellow mustard, dill, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat.
- Fold in sunflower seeds and basil (as much or as little as you’d like) and adjust any ingredients to taste.
- Pile high on bread with all your sandwich fixings or enjoy as a wrap, with crackers, on a salad, or simply dive into the bowl spoon-first – anything goes!
This makes a FABULOUS make-ahead dish for lunches during the week and is great on the go too. Pack a sandwich or salad for lunch/school or make it ahead to serve at a party or picnic.
The salad will be great for approx. 4 days in the refrigerator so make it for now, or for later!
Adapted from (affiliate) The Oh She Glows Cookbook
special diets and swaps
- Vegansaurus Chefs: Use your favorite vegan mayo and you’re good to go!
- T-rex Chefs: Pretty please promise me you’ll try this?! Put down the bacon and pencil in some plant based lovin’ for lunch today!
- Gluten-Free Chefs: Serve this crunchy chickpea salad in lettuce wraps, salad-style on a bed of greens, or on your favorite GF bread. I’m no stranger to eating this stuff straight out of the bowl with a spoon – so good!
Seriously LOVING this healthy Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwich — I can’t wait for you guys to try it!
crazy for chickpeas?
Watch the Video Below for More Info... Then Click the Blue Button Below for All the Details!